The EFEO Centres in Asia
The mission of the EFEO Centres in Asia, at the heart of the network of research facilities serving the European Consortium ECAF, is to be valued physical hubs in important Asian locations that:
- possess and make accessible unique, rich, on-the-ground academic expertise and resources
- draw visiting European scholars into new and stimulating interactions with each other and with local academic partners within and across disciplinary boundaries (including, for example, hosting or co-organising international lectures, workshops and seminars)
- facilitate enriching exchanges and engagement with local languages / cultures / communities / environments
- support international collaborations and enable new world-class research
- provide practical / logistical support to early-career scholars and those new to the area
- develop dialogues with local and international networks, agencies and communities of interest outside the academic world (including, for example, local European diplomatic personnel, Non-Governmental Organisations, and community-based groups)
On Monday 27th February Martin Ramos (EFEO) is speaking on "Les soldats du Maître du Ciel. Ce que la révolte de Shimabara-Amakusa nous apprend sur le catholicisme japonais".
11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (free admission)
Maison de l'Asie, first-floor salon, 22 avenue du Président Wilson, 75116 Paris
The deadline for submitting an application to an EFEO Field Scholarships for Master and PhD students enabling a field study in Asia at one of the EFEO centers is set to the 31st of March 2017 at noon (Paris time).
Aseanie 33 (June 2014) READ MORE
The photographic collection of the ethnologist Otomé Klein, 800 pictures taken during the 1980s amongst the ethnic Lisu mountain dwellers in the north of Thailand goes on line on the EFEO virtual photo library: www.collection.efeo.fr
Arts Asiatiques 71 (2016) READ MORE