EFEO Field Scholarships
The École française d'Extrême-Orient (EFEO) awards scholarships to research students tenable for periods of research in an EFEO Centre in Asia.
- Funding type: forfeit allowance.
- Amount: a monthly stipend varying between 700 and 1 360 € according to the academic level of the applicant (MA or PhD student) and the country of field research in Asia.
- Duration: 1 to 6 months.
NB MA students are eligible for field research scholarships not exceeding two months
- Discipline: research in humanities or social sciences applied to the history and civilizations of Asia.
- Qualifications: applicants must hold a BA, MA degree or a recognized equivalent qualification.
- Languages: good command of the language(s) required to successfully complete the field research project, as well as a working knowledge of French.
- Area: scholarships are tenable in EFEO Centres in Asia.
Application documents comprise:
- a cover letter addressed to the Director of the EFEO stating the objectives of the requested field study, specifying the dates of the projected period of research, the EFEO Centre concerned, as well as any ongoing funding and parallel scholarship application,
- a detailed description of the research project (1-5 pages) including a work schedule and a budget,
- a curriculum vitae with copies of degrees and certificates,
- a letter of recommendation by the applicant's thesis director or research supervisor,
- a photocopy of a valid ID and a a photocopy of the student card (to be sent by mail to the EFEO, 22 avenue du Président Wilson, 75116 Paris, France)
To submit an application
- Online application: by creating an account and filling-in the online application form.
Once registered you can log in and out at any time to complete your application until you click "Submit your application". No application can be received after the application deadline.
You will be asked to upload the supporting documents in PDF format.
Questions or problems regarding the application materials or procedures should be directed to email@example.com or by phone at (0033) 1 53 70 18 60.
Deadlines for applications
- 31 March 2017 (included), for scholarships tenable between 1 June and 31 December 2017
NB Candidates may be awarded up to two scholarships for a total duration not exceeding 9 months
Successful candidates must
- Bear the cost of local accommodation while working in EFEO Centres.
- Being able to provide a proof of adequate health insurance coverage.
- Cover their travel costs.
- Submit a report of 10-15 pages with an abstract not exceeding 150 words on the results of their field research. The report must be submitted in electronic format within one month after completion of the scholarship. It should be addressed to the Director of the EFEO at firstname.lastname@example.org and to the head of the host Centre in Asia. The abstracts are published in the annual report of the EFEO.
The deadline for submitting an application to an EFEO Field Scholarships for Master and PhD students enabling a field study in Asia at one of the EFEO centers is set to the 31st of March 2017 at noon (Paris time).
Follow the virtual photo library of the EFEO on Instagram account: ecolefrancaisedextremeorient
On Monday 27th March Cécile Guillaume-Pey (EHESS) is speaking on "Quand la graphophagie remplace les dialogues avec les espritsManipulations rituelles de l'écrit chez les Sora (Inde)"
11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (free admission)
Maison de l'Asie, first-floor salon, 22 avenue du Président Wilson, 75116 Paris
On February the 28th 2017, EFEO hosted the Board of the French Commission for UNESCO as well as several german and french officials representing their governments in this organisation.
During this event, Mr. Daniel Janicot, President of the National Commission, presented a medal commemorating the Commission's 70th anniversary to Mr. Yves Goudineau, Director of the EFEO.
This medal rewarded the School and its management for its actions in preserving Asian heritage, monuments and manuscripts, and in recognition of its past and present collaboration with UNESCO on World Heritage Sites (Angkor, Borobudur, Vat Phu, Luang Prabang, Kaesong, Thang-Long Hanoi, My Son, etc.).
The Initiative de Recherches Interdisciplinaires Stratégiques (IRIS) Études globales of Paris Sciences et Lettres (PSL) launches a call for mobility and student initiatives 2017 (Candidature until April 17, 2017) to support student participation in its initiatives.
Two forms of support, up to a maximum of 3000 euros, are planned: assistance to the field and participation or organization of Study Day.