EFEO Field Scholarships
The École française d'Extrême-Orient (EFEO) awards scholarships to research students tenable for periods of research in an EFEO Centre in Asia.
- Funding type: forfeit allowance.
- Amount: a monthly stipend varying between 700 and 1 360 € according to the academic level of the applicant (MA or PhD student) and the country of field research in Asia.
- Duration: 1 to 6 months.
NB MA students are eligible for field research scholarships not exceeding two months
- Discipline: research in humanities or social sciences applied to the history and civilizations of Asia.
- Qualifications: applicants must hold a BA, MA degree or a recognized equivalent qualification.
- Languages: good command of the language(s) required to successfully complete the field research project, as well as a working knowledge of French.
- Area: scholarships are tenable in EFEO Centres in Asia.
Application documents comprise:
- a cover letter addressed to the Director of the EFEO stating the objectives of the requested field study, specifying the dates of the projected period of research, the EFEO Centre concerned, as well as any ongoing funding and parallel scholarship application,
- a detailed description of the research project (1-5 pages) including a work schedule and a budget,
- a curriculum vitae with copies of degrees and certificates,
- a letter of recommendation by the applicant's thesis director or research supervisor,
- a photocopy of a valid ID and a a photocopy of the student card (to be sent by mail to the EFEO, 22 avenue du Président Wilson, 75116 Paris, France)
To submit an application
- Online application: by creating an account and filling-in the online application form.
Once registered you can log in and out at any time to complete your application until you click "Submit your application". No application can be received after the application deadline.
You will be asked to upload the supporting documents in PDF format.
Questions or problems regarding the application materials or procedures should be directed to email@example.com or by phone at (0033) 1 53 70 18 60.
Deadlines for applications
- 30 September 2016 (included), for scholarships tenable between 1 January and 30 June 2017
NB Candidates may be awarded up to two scholarships for a total duration not exceeding 9 months
Successful candidates must
- Bear the cost of local accommodation while working in EFEO Centres.
- Being able to provide a proof of adequate health insurance coverage.
- Cover their travel costs.
- Submit a report of 10-15 pages with an abstract not exceeding 150 words on the results of their field research. The report must be submitted in electronic format within one month after completion of the scholarship. It should be addressed to the Director of the EFEO at firstname.lastname@example.org and to the head of the host Centre in Asia. The abstracts are published in the annual report of the EFEO.
Thank you for your understanding. READ MORE
This virtual library will be regularly updated as and when the approximately 180,000 photographs which compose the EFEO's collection are digitized and included in the database.
The French School of Asian Studies wishes you a happy New Year of the Snake - 恭喜發財 !